Wednesday, April 18, 2012

I Dyed It!


Last week I finally decided to dye my first felted skirt.  I dyed the whole skirt in a light silver grey, then used shibori techniques of folding, rolling and wrapping to create the diagonal lines of blue.  I really like how it came out, but for some reason it still felt unfinished, like it needed another dip or another color, or just...something.

 At the risk of going too far I decided to hold off on doing anything else to it.

Today I thought it would be a good idea to wear it and see how I felt about it.



I think I am going to have to wear it a few more times in order to know whether it is finished or not.  And the great thing is I can always go back and dye it again:)

I have been thinking a lot lately about what a classifies a garment as being "finished" is it perfectly rolled hems, straight un-frayed edges, adding color or being dyed?  This skirt will be a good test for that very question.

Lately I am in love with the organically shaped edges that felting creates and the beautiful slightly frayed edges of the silk.  

What do you think classifies a garment as being finished?

No comments:

Post a Comment